Shiatsu is a massage therapy which originated in Japan a long time ago. The basis of the massage therapy lies in the traditional Chinese massage and has become a popular massage therapy since its inception in the late 1940's. The massage therapy uses various techniques which all involve the use of fingers, hands, elbows, and even knees and feet! Shiatsu literally means “finger pressure” in Japanese and the term effectively describes what shiatsu therapy is all about. Varied levels of pressure are applied on affected muscles using thumbs, fingers, and other joints. The massage also involves rotating and stretching the limbs and the joints of the person who is undergoing the therapy. These joints and pressure points are also known as meridians in Chinese medicine.
Application of adequate pressure on meridians of the body stimulates both the nervous system as well as the immune system of the body. This leads to easing the body and mind greatly and results in some great relaxation.
Since shiatsu is based on traditional Chinese medicine, it takes the concept of qi into consideration. Qi, the universal form of energy which flows through all of us, is vital for our health. Balancing the flow of qi in the body is the key to achieving optimal health. Shiatsu massage aims to remove all blockages in the flow of qi in the body by aligning the meridians correctly. This correction leads to balance and continuation in the flow of qi, a necessary aspect for the physical and mental health and stability.
continuation in the flow of qi, a necessary aspect for the physical and mental health and stability.
According to the Chinese medicine philosophy, the body has twelve meridians which are lung, stomach, spleen, heart governor, liver, gall bladder, urinary bladder, heart, triple heater, small intestine, large intestine, and kidney.
• Improve blood circulation – shiatsu massage therapy makes use of deliberate strokes, variable pressure, and mobilizing joints which improves the circulation of blood greatly. The improved blood circulation leads to oxygenation of the different tissues in the body.
• Feel relaxed – shiatsu is a great way to relax and relieve yourself. The pressure applied on various parts of your body carry relaxation waves to your brain.
• Restore the flow of qi – the flow of qi, the universal energy which flows through us all, is restored by removing all blockages by shiatsu techniques.
• Get rid of joint stiffness – joint mobilization is one of the key aspects of shiatsu massage therapy. You will feel immediate improvement in the mobility of your joints after a session.
• Relief from pains and aches – shiatsu effectively helps cure all types of musculoskeletal pains and aches.