See more venues that offer Kickboxing
Kickboxing is a combat sport which is based on kicking and punching. It is also an intense workout which can make you pump up both physically as well as mentally. Developed from different martial arts, kickboxing is a hybrid martial art which is practiced throughout the world. Unlike many other martial arts sports, kickboxing does not have a specific international governing body. Instead, there are several governing bodies which include World Association of Kickboxing Organizations, World Kickboxing Association, and International Kickboxing Federation.
There are championships which are organised for promotion by organisations like Lumpinee Boxing Stadium, K-1, Glory, and SUPERKOMBAT. Different organisations sanction different techniques such as allowing the use of knees etc. and thus, one needs to follow different rules when playing for different organisations.
Kickboxing is not just a competitive sport and you can learn it for the sake of its health benefits. There are many ways in which kickboxing helps your mind, body, and soul such as:
• You develop a good defense system – it is no secret that kickboxing is a great way to defend yourself in tough situations. The moves which you learn when practicing kickboxing help you defend yourself in various challenging situations and help you build an awareness for your surrounding which is helpful.
• There is a substantial improvement in flexibility – kickboxing involves your body stretching and flexing in various moves. Regular practice leads to great improvement in joint mobility and reduction in the stiffness. This leads to your body becoming flexible.
• Muscle toning – we all want to tone our muscles so they are stronger and shapelier than before. Through regular kickboxing training, you can build your muscles and tone them. By throwing strong punches and kicks at the punching bag, you strengthen and tone your upper and lower body muscles.
• There is an improvement in circulation – improvement in circulation is another merit of regular practice of kickboxing moves. Kickboxing is a very intense workout and raises your heart rate up which enhances the circulation of blood. This leads to better oxygenation of the different muscle tissues.
• Enhances your balance – kickboxing requires you to kick a lot which is why you have to stand on just one foot many times. Each kick contributes to the improvement in your balance and enhances your physical form.
• Improvement in coordination of your body and mind – the practice of kickboxing moves leads to improved coordination as you have to remain focused on each move.
• Relief from stress – stress relief is one of the most underestimated yet important benefits of kickboxing. When you are moving your arms and legs to throw high intensity punches and kicks, you concentrate on your movements only. For the time you are kickboxing, you forget about other things and have to focus on the present.
Now that you know about the various benefits of the sport, you can start kickboxing classes right away.