See more venues that offer Moxibustion
The moxibustion therapy is an ancient Chinese therapy which has been around for a multitude of centuries. Like all Chinese therapies, moxibustion is based on the concept of qi – the universal energy which flows through all of us. Ancient Chinese medicine believes that it is only through the proper balance of qi do we achieve optimal health and peace. It is necessary for the qi to keep flowing continuously and not have any blockages because they disrupt the normal functioning of the body and mind. There are several therapies based on this concept which have proven to be effective from time to time. Acupuncture is the most commonly known and used therapy but is moxibustion something you should go for?
◦ Moxibustion is a tradition Chinese medicine therapy in which mugwort is burned over the acupressure points of the patient's body.
◦ Mugwort is a flower which has been used for the treatment since the ancient times
Moxibustion can be performed in two ways – direct and indirect. We will discuss both the ways in detail.
◦ Direct moxibustion:
▪ In direct moxibustion, the mugwort is put in a cone shaped container which is burned directly over the acupressure points of your body.
▪ Direct moxibustion can also be of two types – scarring and non scarring.
▪ In scarring moxibustion, the mugwort cone is burned till it produces burns and blisters on the skin.
▪ In non scarring moxibustion, the cone is removed just before scarring occurs.
◦ Indirect moxibustion
▪ This form of moxibustion is more common because it has low risk of causing burns and blisters.
▪ A mugwort filled cigar is held over the acupressure points till the area turns red.
◦ Moxibustion is used to treat a variety of diseases such as pains, cold, and many other common ailments.
◦ The stimulation of acupressure points contributes to the healing of various ailments you might be suffering from.