Gua Sha is an ancient Chinese therapy which is a way to get rid of pain. In a typical Gua Sha treatment, the patient is subjected to unidirectional scraping of their skin on the areas which are in pain. This seems scary and painful and makes people wonder – how can scraping your own skin help heal pain? How can the remedy of any kind of ache or soreness work by causing even more pain? The truth is that it does work and has worked for many people. However
◦ Gua Sha is performed by scraping off the skin on the area which is in pain.
◦ In a typical treatment, the are which is in pain will first be massaged with a lubricant. Then a scraping tool will be used to gently scrape the outer layer of the skin.
◦ The process will be slightly painful for the patient who can notify the therapist if it becomes too painful. In such cases, the pain can be reduced by applying more oil.
◦ Gua Sha has received mixed reviews from those who tried it as well as the medical community.
◦ Many people seem to like its effects and continuously get the treatment for their pains