See more venues that offer Cupping
Cupping is a type of therapy used in Traditional Chinese Medicine in which cups are applied to the body, creating suction that is believed to enable the smooth flow of energy.
The technique used in cupping causes the muscles and skin tissues being pulled and stimulated using pressure. The pressure to pull the muscles and skin is created by using suction through vacuum.
Cupping was developed as a therapy in ancient China. With time and improvement in technology, the technique has improved and evolved but the foundation remains the same.
To create suction, the air is sucked out of a plastic or glass cup usually through an air pump or the use of flame, respectively and the cup is then quickly placed on the skin of the receiver of the therapy. The underlying skin and muscle is then pulled into the cup. The sensation can be tight but relaxing at the same time.
There are mainly two types of cupping – fixed cupping and gliding cupping.
In the former type, the cups are placed on fixed points on the skin and left as they are throughout the session.
In gliding cupping sessions, selected spots on the skin are first lubricated using massage oils. The cups are then placed on these points and can glide due to the lubrication.
It offers stress relief:
- It is one of the main reasons why people go for cupping sessions.
- A typical cupping session offers relief from stress and creates a more relaxing atmosphere for the patient.
It improves blood flow as well as lymph flow:
- Since the muscles and the skin are pulled using suction cups, cupping aids in increasing the flow of blood as well as the flow of lymph through the system.
- Cupping stimulates the production and flow of new, oxygenated blood to the various parts of the body.
It is a great way to cure aches:
- Body aches can be relieved using cupping.
- The relaxing therapy cures issues by fixing conditions like poor circulation and muscle pain.
It can provide relief from flus and other ailments:
- Cupping has been known to provide instant and definite relief from flus, cough etc.
- Itchy skin and other similar problems can be treated through the use of cupping.
The therapy sessions can leave marks on your body which can last for several days.
These marks are formed as a result of suction by the cup and can vary in colour based on the condition of the muscles underneath the treated area.
You may experience a dull ache sensation, similar to the after effects of a strong massage, but it should subside with a day or so.
Cupping is a safe and effective form of therapy for a variety of conditions.